DATA RETRIEVAL SERVICES
- Payroll/Human Resources
- Activity Reporting System
- Student records
- Financial Aid
- Course and Instructor information
- Schedule of classes
Reports, graphs, or downloads from both current and historical information can be prepared to the user's specification.
In addition to data retrieval, other services available include statistical analysis, predictive modeling, and building web systems to solve administrative information needs. In general, campus units are not charged for these services.
The Division of Management Information is responsible for preparing the information used in the annual IBHE Cost Study, for Federal A-21 reporting, and for accreditation reviews. We also provide data for annual surveys by Money Magazine, US News & World Report, Barron's College Guides, and many other specialized surveys.
Campus administrators and faculty who receive external requests for campus-wide information are encouraged to contact DMI staff for assistance in obtaining "official" statistics.
TARGETED MAILING LISTS
Campus policy requires permission of the Dean of Students for mass emails to students and permission from the Senior Associate Chancellor for Human Resources (Elyne Cole) for any mass emails to faculty or staff.
- Minimum mailing lists charge: $100 for electronic mailings; $150 for paper mailings
- Email+ Web Services Delivery: $100 (includes one initial email and one followup email)
- Rush Fee (< 2 weeks): $50
- Two Associated/followup emails: $50 each
We cannot provide an exact count for printing purposes until we run the job. If you need an estimate earlier, we will run the job earlier and you may incur a "rush job" surcharge if we have less than two weeks notice. Rush jobs (less than 2 weeks turnaround) will be assessed a surcharge of $50, provided DMI is able to meet the requested Due Date. The two week timeframe begins when all approvals are received. Willingness to pay the surcharge does not guarantee expedited processing.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
Staff members make every effort to ensure the resulting lists are accurate, but occasionally errors are made. Clients are urged to look at any counts and reports produces describing the targeted list and bring any unexpected results to our attention immediately. Our liability for programming errors extends only to immediate replacement of any incorrect file, we do not assume any financial responsibility for additional client costs due to errors made in our list production.
SURVEY SAMPLING SERVICES
The following conditions must be met by the project:
- Review of the survey instrument and procedures by the Assistant Provost for Management Information (Amy Edwards).
- Permission of the Dean of Students for Survey of Students or permission from the Senior Associate Chancellor for Human Resources (Elyne Cole) for surveys of faculty or staff.
- Approval or exemption for the survey from the campus Institutional Review Board.
- Full populations of any subgroup are rarely approved. Consult with the Assistant Provost for Management Information prior to submitting an IRB application that includes a full population.
- No more than one (1) initial e-mail and three (3) followup emails will be approved.
- Surveys cannot be distributed the week before finals or the week of finals.
- Charges (see targeted mailing lists). All payments must be processed using a University account number (C-FOP) or advance payment by a check made out to the University of Illinois. Charges for one initial email and one followup email will be waived for a UIUC dissertation project. Additional followup emails, the rush fee, and DMI's delivery of the survey will not be waived.
DELIVERY OF INFORMATION
As with targeting mailings, we rarely provide these lists to requestors; the lists will be sent to the Mailing Center for paper mailings (US or campus) and to Webtools Email facility (for emails). Campus Mail will also require payment for their services, and Management Information will charge extra to handle an email through Webtools. Not having access to the original list of invitees may affect the survey procedures, so researchers are strongly urged to contact the Assistant Provost for Management Information before submitting an IRB application.
Policy Governing Electronic Surveys and Questionnaires
List of Student Organizations
Institutional Level Surveys
DMI Survey List Requests - download